[Samba] accessing files on XP box from Linux Box

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Sun Jun 27 17:32:25 GMT 2004

Okay! With a couple more hours work, I figured it out. It's unfortunate
that 95% of the Samba docs assume you want to connect a Windows
workstation to a Linux file server, instead of the other way around. :-)

Anyway, as I hinted in my last email, I had a feeling that I wasn't
actually connecting to the server. That turned out to be the case. What
worked was using the ip address of the file server, instead of its name:

smbmount //192.168.1.100/e /mnt/win

I'm guessing that no username/password is required because my Linux
machine is part of the Windows Workgroup that owns the Windows shared
directory.

I haven't actually seen this technique in any of the docs (I just took a
desperate guess and tried it), so I'm posting it here. Hopefully it will
save someone else the effort.

-- John