[Samba] NT4 DC Problem I hope Samba Solves

Timothy Birth ray68505 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 26 05:27:56 GMT 2004

I received a reply, but I cannot read the language of
your reply.  There is a work around I thought of and I
will explain it.  The auto login feature in Windows XP
could be used to keep users logged on.  A program
could be written that would require them to respond
before allowing any other program to run.  I believe
the term for this is a modal window.  This program
would validate their user information.  If they are
not a valid user, the system would log them off.  If a
program like this existed that could interact with the
samba user information it would be a way around the
problem.

Tim

I have a general question about samba.  I purchased NT
4 Server and it was working well.  However, I have
Windows 2000/XP Clients that are having problems.  The
problem is that domain users are considered users and
not power users.  Domain users cannot edit the
registry.  I have tried everything I can think of to
fix this, but I can't get it to work.

If samba would allow my Windows 2000/XP clients to be
NT 4 Domain Guest Power Users, my problem would be
solved.  By design, guest profiles are deleted when
the user logs off the local computer.
  -I want them to be guests so that they use the
   default user profile when they log on.  I do
   not want a bunch of local profiles to be
   maintained when they log off.
  -I want them to be power users so they can edit
   the registry.
I know how to set up local users as guest power users,
but I can't figure out how to get domain users to be
guest power users.

>From what I have read, Windows 2000 Active Directory
Server allows domain users to be power users.  I do
not need Active Directory if samba can solve the
problem.

I would gladly switch to samba if this problem is
solved.  Thank you for your assistance with this
matter!  I am looking forward to your reply!!!

Sincerely,

Tim Birth