[Samba] Re: Questions about Samba and a WINS server...update

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Fri Jun 25 20:23:02 GMT 2004

>I just thought of something: The NT 4.0 box has the domain setup as
>COURTESY. In looking at my smb.conf file, I setup the WORKGROUP as
>COURTESY. I think I read in the Samba book that this could cause a
>problem. If my thinking is correct, if I were to shut off the NT box, I
>bet I could browse the network from a Branch office, correct? If that is
>the case, what are my options to resolve that? Keep in mind, I have to
>keep the NT 4.0 box for now. :/
>
>Any recommendations?
>
>Jason

Hey guys, I think I found my problem. Now I just need to figure out how to
fix it.

I checked the NT 4.0 box, and for network identification, it has the DOMAIN
set to COURTESY.
In smb.conf, the workgroup = COURTESY.

Went through the book, and it stated that if it is set like that, you will
experience problems. :-/

Ok...now I need to figure out how to fix this.

The tricky part is, all our users have a mapped drive to the NT 4.0 server.
I have to take that into consideration before I make some changes.

Anyone have some suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

I appreciate it.

Jas