[Samba] Roaming profiles. How to do it ?

Flávio Henrique flavinhohenrique at terra.com.br
Fri Jun 25 11:34:02 GMT 2004

Hi TMI,

see below

> Flávio Henrique a écrit :
>
>> Hi all..
>>
>> I'm using Samba 3.0.2a on Mandrake 10, serving +/- 50 win98 clients.
>>
>> I'm using this options:
>>
>> logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
>> logon home =  \\%N\%U\profile
>>
>> but the roaming profile seems do not working... at least the way that
>> I want. (maybe this is the right behavior).
>>    What I want:
>>    -> When an user logins on MACHINE1 the profile that is saved in
>> Linux begin download to MACHINE1
>>    -> When this user logoff from MACHINE1 the profile must update on
>> linux server
>>    -> If this user logins on MACHINE2 the profile (updated) must be
>> downloaded to MACHINE2
>>
>> But is not happen like this. When the user logins for the first time
>> on MACHINE1 a local profile is created using the "All users" folder
>> (under \windows\profiles)
>>
>> I'm not sure if the option " logon home = \\%N\%U\profile " tells
>> Samba to do what I want.
>>
>> Somone can help me ?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Flávio Henrique
>

> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that your samba side parameters are good.
> The logon path parameter won't be useful, it is only for win2k / winXP
> / NT clients.

ok. thank you

> You should now check:
> 1- permissions of the profile directory (be sure your users can write
> that directory)

the permissions is right (700 with owner <user>.<user>
the users can export the profile from win98, my problem is that they
can't import the roaming profile when make login in another machine...
I read in somewhere that win98 can't deal correctly with roaming profiles...
I wish to know if someone is working with win98 roaming profile,
importing the profile when logins in the first time...

> 2- did you activate the use of profiles in the nethood properties of
> the win98se clients ?

yes...

> 3- Check the samba-howto, chapters 22 and 23, it covers most of the
> basics for profiles to work (win98 included).

I will... thank you

> hope it helps
>
> TMI-Concept

Flávio Henrique