[Samba] one and a half nets

Nik Trevallyn-Jones nik at designer.com.au
Fri Jun 25 06:35:30 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to configure a SAMBA server to be connected to two different
networks in two different ways:

One network, on interface eth0, is the local network, the SAMBA server is the
main file server for this network, and so I assume it would be best if the
SAMBA server were the "master" on this network.

The other network, on interface eth3, is someone else's network. I am trying
to make my SAMBA server as invisible as possible on this network, whilst
still allowing file sharing.

I set this up as seemed to make sense, and it worked to my expectations.
However, the single remote PC (Windows XP) on the eth3 network that was
accessing my SAMBA server can access it no longer, and gets an "An extended
error occurred" error when trying to re-create the network share. I have no
idea what has changed to cause this, and suspect that perhaps it is the PC
and not my server at fault.

Ideally, I want the SAMBA server to support all samba services, including
browsing, on eth0. In contrast, I don't want the server to be visible in
browse lists of PCs on eth3. I really only want PCs to connect by explicitly
creating a network share on that PC. I especially *don't* want my SAMBA
server to be any kind of controller on the eth3 network.

I have restricted access from eth3 by only including it in the "hosts allow"
of a single share on the server.

I have some fairly general quations

Q1: Has anyone any idea what the "extended error" might mean?

Q2: Has anyone any suggestions on how to make a single SAMBA server behave
like the main file server on one network, but be almost invisible on another?

Q3: Is there any way I can adjust my firewall so that a PC can connect to a
shared drive on my SAMBA server, if it knows the address and share name, but
the SAMBA server will not show up in browse lists, will not participate in
master elections, and won't interfere with WINS servers on that same network?

And some more specific questions:

Q4: The parameters "domain master" "local master" "preferred master" are all
global parameters, so if I enable any of them, my SAMBA server will set the
corresponding behaviour on ALL connected networks, correct?

Q5: eth3 has a Microsoft domain controller - will anything nasty happen on
eth3 if I have "wins support = yes" set on my SAMBA server?

Q6: Is the behaviour of the "xxx master" parameters restricted by the
"interfaces" parameter?

Q7: Just what does the "interfaces" parameter restrict? If I omit eth3 from
the "interfaces" parameter, will this disable connection to services, or just
browsing, or...?

Q8: If my SAMBA server's address on eth3 is 123.456.789.100, then what are the
differences, if any, between the following settings:

interfaces = eth0 eth3

interfaces = eth0 123.456.789.0/24

interfaces = eth0 123.456.789.100

Q9: The PCs on eth0 are all Window 2000 machines. If I disable all the "xxx
master" and "wins" parameters on my SAMBA server, will the PCs on eth0 still
be happy, or will I regret it?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Nik