[Samba] Interesting errors...

Schy, Mickey Mickey.Schy at wahchang.com
Thu Jun 24 00:05:02 GMT 2004

Greetings,
About 2 months ago, we decided to backup our Oracle test servers via
samba rather than nfs -- the backups were just taking too long using
nfs. No problem mounting the remote file share to the server and the
backup took about one-third of the time. Yep, worked good...and still
continues to out perform nfs hands down.

Problem is - I'm receiving errors on both of the test servers. The
backups are completing and nothing is hanging, but I need to find out
more on the following errors before making the change in our production
environment:

smb_get_length: recv error = 5
smb_trans2_request: result=-5, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=818, generation=114
smb_get_length: recv error = 5
smb_trans2_request: result=-5, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=818, generation=115
smb_get_length: recv error = 5
smb_request: result -5, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=818, generation=116
smb_get_length: recv error = 5
smb_request: result -5, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=818, generation=117
smb_get_length: recv error = 5
smb_trans2_request: result=-5, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=818, generation=118
smb_get_length: recv error = 5
smb_trans2_request: result=-5, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=818, generation=119

smb_proc_readdir_long: name=\temp\admin\misc\*, result=-13, rcls=1,
err=5
smb_proc_readdir_long: name=\temp\admin\scripts\monitor_hosts\*,
result=-13, rcl
s=1, err=5

I've been researching using Google, samba.org and others, but have run
into what many others are experiencing -- there's just not a lot of
helpful documentation for samba errors. Not making too much headway, so
I decided to seek the wisdom of the masses.

Has anyone seen and successfully corrected these errors?

Many thanks....

Mickey Schy
UNIX Sys Admin
Mickey.Schy at wahchang.com