[Samba] Migration from NT

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jun 23 20:06:36 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 01:24, Jim Potter wrote:
> Hi All,
>    At present I am running a largeish (~450 stations) NT based network
> (with win2k/XP clients) in a school in the UK, and I am looking into the
> feasability of moving to samba 3+LDAP over the summer. Has anyone had
> much experience of this, and are there any major problems? My concerns
> are with the following:
>
> - Seamless transition from NT to Samba without having to re-add user
> accounts, change passwords, re-add workstations to the domain etc. - I
> get the impression that there are scripts to do this automagically
> - The possibility of setting up several domains based on different
> sections of the tree - for instance creating an admin domain that draws
> its users from the staff branch list, and a curriculum domain that draws
> its users from the 'everyone at the school' branch.
> - adding MacOS X machines
>
> I already run Linux to do everything except domain logins and printing -
> this is the next sensible step
>
> any top tips/experiences on this matter would be gratefully recieved
----
get ldap running first including authentication of users on various
other packages (login/pop3/imap/etc) prior to linking with samba.

Make sure you can slapdadd, slapcat, ldapadd, ldapsearch, ldapmodify
from command line. Back up the ldap prior to alterations.

Create users in samba to make sure smbldap is set up correctly. See
backup from above

Then you can use net vampire to bring in machine accounts & user
accounts

See Samba 3 How-to, read it again  ;-)

Craig