[Samba] samba security question - samba vulnerable to any Windows Exploits?

Paul Bradshaw bradshaw at wintermute.alumni.uoguelph.ca
Wed Jun 23 15:02:19 GMT 2004

Hi there,

I'm unclear on this warning I got from NeWT when I scanned my Linux
workstation.  Could someone clarify for me if I should be worried?

Thanks,

...Paul
------------------------
microsoft-ds (445/tcp)

It was possible to log into the remote host using the following
login/password combinations :
'administrator'/''
'administrator'/'administrator'
'guest'/''
'guest'/'guest'

It was possible to log into the remote host using a NULL session.
The concept of a NULL session is to provide a null username and
a null password, which grants the user the 'guest' access

To prevent null sessions, see MS KB Article Q143474 (NT 4.0) and
Q246261 (Windows 2000).
Note that this won't completely disable null sessions, but will
prevent them from connecting to IPC$
Please see http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/nessus-0204/50/1.html

The remote host defaults to guest when a user logs in using an invalid
login. For instance, we could log in using the account 'nessus/nessus'

All the smb tests will be done as ''/'whatever' in domain ALUMNI_HOUSE
CVE : CAN-1999-0504, CAN-1999-0506, CVE-2000-0222, CAN-1999-0505,
CAN-2002-1117
BID : 494, 990
Plugin ID : 10394 <http://cgi.nessus.org/plugins/newt.php?id=10394>

The following shares can be accessed using a NULL session :

- IPC$ - (readable?, writeable?)

*Solution : To restrict their access under WindowsNT, open the explorer,
do a right click on each,
go to the 'sharing' tab, and click on 'permissions'
Risk factor : High
CVE : CAN-1999-0519, CAN-1999-0520
BID : 8026
*