[Samba] Offline Files with W2K - Samba 3 Problem

RRuegner robert at ruegner.org
Tue Jun 22 10:53:18 GMT 2004

Wolfgang.Halbartschlager at rembrandtin.com schrieb:

> Dear Samba Team !
>
> First of all I want to say, that now we use Samba 3 in our company since
> August 2003 and we are very pleased. But there is one thing, that doesn't
> work all the time and this thing is very important for our company.
>
> The offline files function of W2K works fine with Samba 3. But if you
> change an offline synched file in the OFFLINE MODE and you like to sync it
> back to the file server, you can't synchronize it, because the FILE
> permissions are incorrect. I think, that W2K first wants to put an 0KB File
> on the Server and fill it then up with its Data. After this process the old
> file should be deleted and the new filled up file should be renamed into
> the old file's name.
>
> I hope you could unterstand me and also I hope you'll give me an answer.
>
> Thanks !
>
> With best regards...
> Wolfgang Halbartschlager
>
> Rembrandtin Lack Ges.m.b.H.
> Network Operator
> http://www.rembrandtin.com

Hi, this sound like the Problem which exists for office files too,
the workaround should be allow users/group to change the wanted files
via  force parameters to the share
force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0770
  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/AccessControls.html#id2540044
i hope this helps you around,
but your question should be answered by the smb coders too, cause i cant
remember to some "how to" for this function
Regards