[Samba] Anonymous access to Samba share with Windows XP Home

Scott Serr serrs at theserrs.net
Mon Jun 21 21:51:33 GMT 2004

I think XP is confused on sets of credentials.  If you have any
connection to a server as a named user with a password, then subsequent
connections "want" to be that user/password.  Once (long ago, 1999?) I
got around something like this by declaring a "NETBIOS alias" in
smb.conf and connecting to the same server with the alias name for the
second share.

Might work.

Other thing to look at: Do anonymous shares work with security=user?
Maybe just security=share?

-Scott