[Samba] Anonymous access to Samba share with Windows XP Home

Charles Collicutt charles.collicutt at holyblasphemy.org
Mon Jun 21 20:49:05 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've searched the HOWTO and searched with Google for an answer to my
problem but to no avail. I hope it's not too obvious.

I have a Linux box running Samba 3.0.4 and a Windows XP Home box on my
local network. I would like to share the home directories on the linux
box and I would also like a share that is accessible anonymously with
no password.

My smb.conf contains the following:

#======================= Global Settings

[global]
   workgroup = MYWKGRP
   server string = Charles' Desktop
   netbios name = Encre
   security = user
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.1
   hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m
   max log size = 50
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   passdb backend = tdbsam

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[audio]
   comment = Charles' Audio Files
   path = /home/charles/audio
   force user = charles
   force group = users
   read only = No
   guest ok = Yes

#============================

I can connect to the audio share using
smbclient -U guest //encre/audio
on my linux box without providing a password, which is exactly what I
want.

However, net use \\encre\audio "" /u:guest fails on the WinXP box,
claiming that it is an invalid username or password. Browsing in
Explorer fails similarly.

I can solve this by adding an account to my Samba password file whose
username matches the username on the WinXP box. However, the whole
point of this share is to allow anyone connected to my local network
access to my audio share - I don't want to have to add users for every
laptop that comes into wireless range, for example.

Why can't the WinXP box connect anonymously when smbclient on the Linux
box can?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

--
Charles