[Samba] Joining NT4 workstations to a Samba 3 Domain

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Mon Jun 21 17:00:54 GMT 2004

Linux: Fedora Core 2
Samba: 3.0.3
OpenLDAP: 2.1.29

I've noticed a couple of other messages in this month's archives that
suggest they're having the same problem as I, but so far no resolution
has been reported.

I've got a new Samba domain up and running with LDAP that allows me to
join Win2K and XP clients, but not NT4 workstations. I've added the
machine account with the command: smbldap-useradd -w MISTEST02

An ldapsearch confirms that the machine account has been created. On
attmpting to join the domai nfrom the NT4 client I receive the following
error message:

"The machine account for this computer either does not exist or is
inaccessible."

Amazingly, the machine account has now disappeared from the LDAP
directory, as confirmed by running  ldapsearch.

Trying to add the machine without first running smbldap-useradd (which
works fine for the 2K and XP clients) gives me the same error.

I'll be happy to provide confs, debug logs and tcpdumps if those will be
helpful - simply let me know what needs to be captured. Thanks in
advance for your help.

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc