[Samba] multiple passdb backends: ldaps for users, everything else locally?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Jun 21 13:36:57 GMT 2004

Marc Petitmermet wrote:

> dear list members
>
> is it possible to only have the users authenticate against an external
> ldap server and everything else managed locally on the samba server?
> the problem is that i only can authenticate against the central ldap
> but not write to it. this means that samba "root" as well as all
> machine accounts have to be managed locally and the users' homes
> information is retrieved by nis.

In your situation, you can't modify the users' entries in LDAP to add
the samba information either I would guess.  For this type of a
situation, use either the password file (is the option smbpasswd?) or
tdbsam.  You don't need to specify that ldap is involved at all.  This
is the same way that a single workstation has user entries in the passwd
file and then samba maintains its own user information file.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254