[Samba] Samba 3.0.2a and MS Access 2002

Tim Russell timrussell at rocketmail.com
Sun Jun 20 15:44:52 GMT 2004

I guess I'm not sure what you mean? The problem is WITH the newer, updated Access 2002 (and I've seen similiar posts about Access 2003). I guess I should have been more specific and said that I'm not having trouble with any other "Microsoft" Office application (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc). Also, ANY version of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (office 97, office 2000, office 2002) work perfectly. Only when Access gets to version 2002 or up are there problems.

I can tell you specifically that 3 weeks ago before we switched to Samba we were on NT print servers and did NOT have this problem. I can also say that locally installed printers and printers installed on workstations as IP printers (meaning not on a print server, just setup to print to directly an IP address) DO NOT have this problem. ONLY printers with a "Samba Printer port" have this issue. So, having said that, I think I can squarely point to samba as the root of the problem. It would appear to me that access doesn't behave like the rest of the office suite when it comes to finding the default printer on a workstation and consequently is causing the issue with samba.

"Jason C. Waters" <jwaters at h2os.com> wrote:
Have you tried this with other MS products? This really sounds more
like you need to update office on those machines than a samba problem.
I would say that if word comes up and finds the default printer, you
need to try to update your office install.

Jason