[Samba] Dynamic DNS under LINUX clients to a MS DNS Server

Thomas Eitzenberger thomas.eitzenberger at siemens.com
Sun Jun 20 09:07:57 GMT 2004

Hi !

I am a lonesome penguin in Siemens Austria fighting my battle against
the "mouseschubbsers". I have a specific problem I would like to get
assistance form any kind soul:

network administration is denying any static dns entries in the domain
and does not add a reverse entry on the DNS server for the name
resolution of my client linux box.

So now it comes. I know there is the nsupdate tool existing which in
bind version 9 allows to do even signed/crypted requests for reverse
entries. As I understand this is a precondition for doing the reverse
resolution registration on MS DNS. To the point I am totally lost on
this topic as I am not an expert (actually not even a newbie :o). Is
there anyone outside in the community that would help me on this topic
??

I really would appreciate any assistance to proove to the SBS guys in
our company that open source prevails !

TIA ET

PS: Please include my email address thomas.eitzenberger - at - siemens .
com in the reply as I am running samba as daily digest and maybe oversee
your reply which would be a pitty for me :o)