[Samba] problem adding windows machines to domain - user root not found

TMI-Concept tmi-concept at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 19 09:44:15 GMT 2004

Matt Singerman a écrit :

>Hello all,

hi there,

>I am trying to add a Windows XP machine to a domain controlled by a Samba 3
>server.  The problem is, when I try to add it, I get the follownig error:

First, are you using winXP pro ? as " XP family"can't join a domain.

>"Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the follownig error
>occured:
>
>The user name could not be found."
>
>I am using the username root and the root samba password.  I even changed
>root's samba password to make sure I was using the correct one:

Check your samba version according to this announcement:

quote from (samba.org)

(8th May, 2004) /Samba 3.0.4 and 2.2.9 Available for Download/

"The latest patch release of the 3.0 code base, Samba 3.0.4, is
available for download in gzipped format
<http://sambafr.idealx.org/samba/ftp/samba-3.0.4.tar.gz>. The GPG
signature <http://sambafr.idealx.org/samba/ftp/samba-3.0.4.tar.asc> is
for the uncompressed tarball. This is the latest stable release of
Samba. This is the version that production Samba servers should be
running for all current bug-fixes. There have been several issues fixed
since the 3.0.3 release, the most visible of which is the problem with
user password changes after applying the Microsoft security hotfix
described in KB828741 to Windows NT 4.0/200x/XP clients. Please refer to
the Release Notes
<http://sambafr.idealx.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-3.0.4.html> for
descriptions of the exact changes and new features."

Hope it helps.

G.G / TMI-Concept.