[Samba] BackupExec Agent on Samba

Michael Andrewjeski mandrewjeski at zonelabs.com
Fri Jun 18 16:26:07 GMT 2004

I too am interested in this topic..

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Bramblett [mailto:kbramblett at dssresearch.com]
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 7:25 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] BackupExec Agent on Samba

Is there an improved BackupExec Unix agent available that works with
Samba? If not, can someone tell me how to work around the lack of the
archive bit that Linux has?  In particular, RedHat Linux 7.2 is the
system I'm looking for help on.

I found the following hints in an older version of this newsletter,
Samba Digest, Vol. 3, Issue 34, sent March 21, 2003, that had this in
it:

Yes, we have been using the Linux agent for some time now on 3 of our
Samba servers with BackupExec 8.5 on NT. It works well, once you figure
out how to adjust the backup scheme to take into account the lack of an
archive bit, which limits the types of backups that can be done.

This was submitted by Shawn Wright.  Andrew Barbara immediately posted a
question about how Shawn had solved his problem, but I have found no
reply since then.  If these people or anyone else has solved the same
problem, please respond.

Thanks,
Kevin Bramblett