[Samba] Re: Net Command

dkw cifs at skicentral.tv
Fri Jun 18 14:42:34 GMT 2004

Howdy:

I never did hear back how to suppress the net command from prompting for
a password.  I think it was IBMers who contributed the Samba net
command.  I was trying to create a webpage from linux/apache/net to
change passwords on an WIN2K Active Direcotory domain controller.  Alas
after many attempts to expect the net command, I was able to
successfully use PERL Expect.pm.

Just wrap your CGI around here.  The key for Expect.pm to work was
soft_close.

For the archives:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

        use Expect;
        use CGI qw(param);
        use CGI::Carp qw( fatalsToBrowser );

# Get your variables from CGI
        $page_value             = param('page_value');
        $username               = param('username');
        $existing_password      = param('existing_password');
        $new_password           = param('new_password');

###################################
## Begin Expect code

# debug
#       $Expect::Debug=3;

# Make sure stdout doesn't spill onto console
        $Expect::Log_Stdout = 0;

# spawn the expect that will do the work behind the scenes
        $net=Expect->spawn("/usr/local/samba/bin/net -w mydomain -I
ads.mydomain.com --user=$username PASSWORD $username $existing_password
$new_password") || die "\n\n\nCouldn't spawn net, $!\n\n\n";

        unless ($net->expect(15,"Password:")) {
                die "\n\nNever got password
prompt\n".$net->exp_error()."\n";
        }

# We got the prompt, so send a password.

        print $net "$existing_password\r";
# run soft_close because the program net was running so quickly that the
expect wasn't able to stick in the value quick enough.  This sucked to
figure out.  If I only I read the Expect.pm POD before I started this
project....  http://search.cpan.org/~rgiersig/Expect-1.15/Expect.pod
        $net->soft_close();