[Samba] [EXPERIENCES] with OpenLDAP and Samba and Redundancy ???

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Fri Jun 18 13:38:51 GMT 2004

 > Isn't the slave ldap directory suppose to be only read only?
if it's readonly, slurpd can't update the slave (i've tested it,
possibly i missed something ?)

the problem is: machines regularly change their passwords and if these
changes are not done on the master, they're lost, if master comes back
-> clients can't logon anymore and so on....

 >I'm having some troubles
 > getting the failover to work
what problems are you talking about?

these are my config files (/etc/ldap.conf for all machines not included
but also very important in case of fail-over)

##### Samba PDC #####
# smb.conf

[global]

    workgroup = NEVAN
    netbios name = nevanpdc
    server string = NevanPDC on Samba Version: %v

    username map = /etc/samba/username.map

    log level = 5
    log file = /var/lib/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 10000

    passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://localhost:389
ldap://nevanbdc.eva.mpg.de:389"
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    ldap suffix = dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de
    ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de
    ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
    ldap user suffix  = ou=users
    ldap group suffix = ou=groups
    ldap replication sleep = 2000
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=users

    guest ok = no
    guest account = Guest

    security = user
    local master = yes
    os level = 65
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = yes

    logon path =
    logon home =

    encrypt passwords = yes
    socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no

    display charset = UTF8
    unix charset = UTF8

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    share modes = no

# slapd.conf
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema

pidfile         /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd/slapd.args
loglevel        7

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de"
rootdn          "cn=manager,dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de"

password-hash   {MD5}
rootpw          {MD5}++++++++++++++++++++++++

replogfile /var/lib/ldap/replog

replica host=nevanbdc.eva.mpg.de:389
     binddn=cn=manager,dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de
     bindmethod=simple credentials="+++++++++"

directory       /var/lib/ldap
index   objectClass             eq
index   sambaSID                eq
index   uid                     eq
index   sambaPrimaryGroupSID    eq

lastmod         on

access to attrs=userPassword
        by self write
        by * auth

access to *
        by * read

##### Samba BDC #####
# smb.conf

[global]

    workgroup = NEVAN
    netbios name = nevanbdc
    server string = NevanBDC on Samba Version: %v

    username map = /etc/samba/username.map

    log level = 5
    log file = /var/lib/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 10000

    passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://nevanpdc.eva.mpg.de:389
ldap://localhost:389"
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    ldap suffix = dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de
    ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de
    ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
    ldap user suffix  = ou=users
    ldap group suffix = ou=groups
    ldap replication sleep = 2000
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=users

    guest ok = no
    guest account = Guest

    security = user
    local master = yes
    os level = 65
    domain master = no
[...]

loglevel        2

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de"
rootdn          "cn=manager,dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de"

password-hash   {MD5}

updatedn "cn=manager,dc=eva,dc=mpg,dc=de"
updateref "nevanpdc.eva.mpg.de"

--

          "Matrix - more than a vision"

                  Michael Gasch