[Samba] smbspool to Windows 2000 Server: "ERRgeneral opening remote file"

Marc Haber mh+samba at zugschlus.de
Fri Jun 18 13:22:20 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 06:52:14PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> |  export DEVICE_URI="smb://account:password@domain/server/printer"
> |  smbspool foo bar Title 1 ignore Makefile
> gives the error message
> |  ERROR: ERRHRD - ERRgeneral (General failure.) opening remote file Title
>
> Same thing happens with
> |  export DEVICE_URI="smb://domain\account:password@server/printer"
>
> When I use a different (wrong) password, the error message changes to
> access denied, so I believe the account is OK.
>
> When I boot my notebook with windows, I can print to that printer with
> the account in question. So the Windows people say that the server is
> fine.

Trying to print with smbclient gives the same error message, and
smbclient's queue command gives no output while there are jobs in the
queue that should be displayed.

An strace of smbclient suggests that the error message is indeed
generated from and error code returned by the server (but the error
message is not in the server's answer in clear text, so I suspect some
error number that is translated to the clear text on the client).

The system log on the Windows box doesn't attract any special attention.

Any more hints what to try?

Greetings
Marc