[Samba] Samba not displaying French characters

Brian Conway Brian.Conway at IngenicoFortronic.com
Fri Jun 18 11:11:31 GMT 2004

We have upgrade to Samba 3.0.2 from 2.0.5 on all our boxes running Solaris
2.6 and above and are now experiencing problems with French character sets.
Before the upgrade,  files containing French names were visible via users
desktop PC's
With Samba 3.0.2 these file names are truncated in length to the letter
before the first French character.
Have checked this out with Samba 2.0.5 running on AIX box.  French filenames
ARE viewable in folder from users desktop PC.
Also checked this on a Solaris 2.6 box with Samba 2.0.5.
Again French filenames ARE viewable from users PC.

Have now added "unix charset = ascii" to smb.conf file for the 3.0.2
version.
This has the effect that the full French filename is visible from the PC
folder, but French characters are replace with a small square.

This is a copy of our [global]   config.
       workgroup = ANAME
        server string = Samba %v on %L
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = nn.nn.nn.nn
        browseable = Yes
        allow trusted domains = Yes
        local master = No
        log level = 1
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        nt acl support = No
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins server = nn.nn.nn.nn
        create mask = 0666
        directory mask = 0777
        unix charset = ascii

Any suggestion what has change in Samba 3.0.2 and how to fix this?