[Samba] [EXPERIENCES] with OpenLDAP and Samba and Redundancy ???

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Fri Jun 18 08:48:05 GMT 2004

hi

i'm looking for hints/experiences concering samba v3, openldap AND
redundancy

my setup is:

Samba PDC with LDAP Master
Samba BDC with LDAP Slave
Samba Member Server, contacting first PDC, then BDC if the first fails

if all instances are working properly, everything is okay
replication is also fine (from Master -> Slave)

and now imagine:

LDAP Master dies
all smbd are contacting LDAP Slave and make their changes in the Slave
directory
cause replication only works from Master->Slave, if Master comes up
again, i have inconsistency in my LDAP Backends
e.g. a machine changes its machine password in Slave directory and can't
logon anymore cause the password change isn't replicated on Master

we also tried to setup slurpd (LDAP replication) on both LDAP Servers -
if both are up, everything is okay, if one is down, changes are made in
one directory, samba tells me it fails (e.g. changing passwords),
allthough it changes the attributes and so on....

so the problem is: if Slave dies, everything should go on working,
because PDC/BDC use at first LDAP Master
if slave comes up, replication is done properly

but if Master dies, i get an inconsistent domain

how do you get redundancy in your LDAP backend?
PDC/BDC redundancy works well, the single-point-of-failure is LDAP

thx
--

          "Matrix - more than a vision"

                  Michael Gasch