[Samba] Overlooked? Windows can't create folders/files with long file names

Dan Stevans stevans at umdnj.edu
Thu Jun 17 21:11:31 GMT 2004

The message below, from A, Skwar, appeared last summer.  Just in case it
got overlooked during vacation time, can anyone comment?  I have an
example as follows:
Every profile contains a foldername "My Recent Documents" which gets
changed during a copy to samba disk to "Recent"!!

Many similar problems.  Also: Special Folder Icons on the screen get
changed to generic folder icons. Curious.

RSVP ASAP  Thanks.

Daniel H. Stevans.......................stevans at umdnj.edu
Supervisor, ACS Lab Technology

Academic Computing Services(C631A, MSB)....Voice:  (973)972-6704
U. of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ             FAX:  (973)972-7412
185 So.Orange Ave., Newark, NJ 07103-2757

**********************

  [Samba] Windows can't create folders/files with long file names
Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Tue Jul 8 06:01:01 GMT 2003

Hello!

Sometimes I've got the problem, that my Windows XP Pro can't create
folders/files with long file names on some shares. However, it's always
possible to read existing folders/files with long file names. After
restarting Windows and reconnecting the share, the problem normally goes
away. At a given point in time, the problem doesn't exist for all users
(IOW: some users can create long file names, some can't).

Right now, the problem appears most often on a HP-UX 11.00 server with
2.2.5 but sometimes it also appears on a Mandrake 9.1 2.2.7a server.

Why is it, that Windows sometimes can't create folders/files with long
file names?

Thanks,

Alexander Skwar