[Samba] Samba PDC Password changing errors

Matthew Koster MKoster at intldata.ca
Thu Jun 17 13:48:19 GMT 2004

Still haveing problems

I read the articles on the WIndows patch that messed up the chaging of
passwords... I have since downloaded the latest stable version (3.0.4) and
set it up, everything works perfectly except for changing passwords.  When a
user from an XP machine goes to change his/her password, they get the error

Here is a copy of my SMB.conf file

[global]
    workgroup = KOSTERTEST
    netbios name = TESTSERVER1
    server string = Kosters Test Server
    password server =
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -s /bin/bash %u
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -d /dev/null -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u
    logon script = netlogon.bat
    logon path =
    logon drive = H:
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 32
    domain master = Yes
    dns proxy = No
    ldap ssl = no
    printer admin = @adm
    encrypt passwords = yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

[print$]
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    write list = @adm, root
    inherit permissions = Yes
    guest ok = Yes

[pdf-generator]
    comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    [netlogon]
    comment = NetLogon Share
    path = /home/netlogon
    read only = No
    locking = No

[profiles]
    path = /home/profiles
    read only = No
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No

[sales]
    comment = Sales Folder
    path = /home/sales
    username = @sales
    valid users = @sales
    read only = No
    browseable = No

[cs]
    comment = Customer Service Folder
    path = /home/cs
    username = @cs
    valid users = @cs
    read only = No
    browseable = No

Is the error really permissions based? if so how to I change the users
permissions so they can change their paswords???

Matthew Koster
Customer Support Technician
International Datacasting Corporation
http://www.intldata.ca
613-596-4120 ext 254

This message, and the documents attached hereto, is intended only for the
addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information.  Any
unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately so that we may correct our
internal records.  Please then delete the original message.  Thank you.