[Samba] Stale NFS file handle error when you try and browse a Windows mounted folder

gareth.thomson at codaoctopus.com gareth.thomson at codaoctopus.com
Thu Jun 17 09:11:08 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am trying to mount folders shared on our Active Directory 2003 Windows
servers on a Linux system running RH7.3 with Samba version 3.0.4
installed.

I seem to be able to establish the connection to the AD database to browse
users and mount windows folders using smbclient command.
However whenever I try to mount using the mount -t smbfs -o
username=me at mydomain.net //server/sharename /mnt/mountpoint it does mount
the folder, but I get a Stale NFS file handle error message whenever I try
to access any files or folders on the mounted disk.

Doing a df -k gave a permission denied error on the mounted filesystem, so
I checked the permissions and gave Everyone Full Control just incase, but
this made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what may cause this error.

Thanks in advance,
Gareth