[Samba] Idealx programs and ldap backend

Adrian Chow achow at uwcsea.edu.sg
Thu Jun 17 01:43:16 GMT 2004

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your insights.  I have corrected my add_posix_machine
function.  It should work fine.

Ok.  Maybe I was confused to ask my original question because my reason
for starting this conversation is because I got a connection everytime I
try to connect to the server.  Maybe my passwd backend is pointing to a
slow ldap master in the network.  I don't have referrals since all my
data is in the same tree of the ldap master.  I did not dedicate any of
the sort (eg. ou=people,dc=domain) to other ldap slaves.
The reason is that since my sambasrv is also a ldap slave and contain
all the entries, I wanted to point to itself (sambasrv) rather than the
slow ldap master (ldapsrv) in the network to see whether the connection
process can be hastened.
However  due to my limit knowledge, I am afraid that if  I do that I
will updated data in the ldap slave (sambasrv) and not the master
ldapsrv. Currently my master ldapsrv is replicating to a few ldap slaves
beside sambasrv.  I wonder is it only when I am trying to join machines
to the domain that I need to point to the ldap master?  If that is so, I
can point the passwd backend locally (sambasrv) and when I need to add
machines, I point the passwd backend to the master ldap master.  Tricky
process but I just want to increase the performance of the connection.
My ldap master (ldapsrv) is running on a very slow machine.  Pentium 1?

2nd question: - Can I turn off add user scripts option as I don't want
any connection to the samba server to create a new user on the server?

Thanks a lot for your input.  Also Stephanie's.

adrian