[Samba] winbind behavior question

Mike Thomas mwt at cems.umn.edu
Wed Jun 16 15:13:23 GMT 2004

I just have some general winbind confusion that I need cleared up I guess...

I've setup winbind using the 'winbind use default domain = yes'
parameter to get rid of the domain prefix, and winbind is functioning
perfectly, long with all nsswitch operations such as getent, getpwnam,
etc etc. My problem is however, and this may be the behavior intended,
is that when I try to actually connect to a share that has a valid users
or admin users line to it, it still tries to look for the user to be
listed as DOMAIN+user (+ being the seperator) even though the 'winbind
use default domain' option is set to yes. Is this the intended behavior?
If it is, is there a way to work around this so I don't have to specify
the users this way? If it is pertinient, the samba server is setup to
use security = ads.

Thanks,

Mike Thomas.
Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
University of Minnesota