[Samba] Idealx programs and ldap backend

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jun 16 12:50:31 GMT 2004

Adrian Chow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got the following setup.
>
> I got a openLDAP server.  This server is the master server for LDAP
> functions.  I named this ldapsrv.
> I got a samba server with openLDAP install on it as well.  This LDAP
> server is the slave to ldapsrv.  I named this sambasrv.
>
> The sambasrv  currently have the following setup in /etc/smb.conf:-
> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldapsrv.domain
> idmap backend = ldap://ldapsrv.domain
> add user script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -a -m '%u'
> delete user script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-userdel.pl '%u'
> add group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupadd.pl -p '%g'
> delete group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupdel.pl '%g'
> add user to group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod.pl -m
> '%u' '%g'
> delete user from group script =
> /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod.pl -x '%u' '%g'
> set primary group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-usermod.pl -g
> '%g' '%u'
> add machine script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -w '%u'
> shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
>
> I want to use sambasrv's openldap directory to read off the passwords
> instead of reading it off the network from ldapsrv.  Note that all
> changes have to be done on ldapsrv in order to be propogated to
> sambasrv.  Will I have any issues if I shift the 'passdb backend' and
> 'idmap backend' to point to ldapsrv?
>
> Can i do the above with the smbldap_conf.pm file untouched?  The
> smbldap_conf.pm files currently point to ldapsrv as the changes will
> need to be done on it.
>
> The reason I asked is that during clients authentication or connecting
> to the sambasrv, will it modify the ldap entries since smb.conf will
> point to sambasrv which is the slave LDAP.  I think all changes need
> to start from ldapsrv.

If you have referrals set up properly then the slave will send the
modify requests up the the master that can write to the db.  One note
however, if you switch all references over to the slave, try a domain
join in test before you roll out.  My particular ldap servers are over a
WAN and samba would actually time out before the account would replicate
to my local slave unless I hacked a sleep in to the add machine function.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254