[Samba] Samba consuming massive amounts of memory

mbc at reisonline.com mbc at reisonline.com
Wed Jun 16 12:19:16 GMT 2004

Hi everyone.

uname -a:
Linux hotbox 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:18:24 EDT 2004 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

smbd -V:
Version 3.0.2-6.3E

When I use Samba from my Win2K box for anything...listing files, copying
files, etc, the amount of used system memorys shoots up VERY quickly. At
reboot, memory usage was 195 MB. I copied a 1 GB file over Samba to my Win2K
box and memory usage shot up to 1205 MB by the end of the copy. As memory
consumptions continues to rise, Samba's performance drops drastically and
Windows begins to give weird errors when trying to use shares...file
corruptions, unable to connect, etc. I set a limit in the limits.conf file
to 50 MB per user...but that doesn't seem to be stopping Samba.

What's going on?? Thanks!

Matthew