[Samba] a better smbstatus for monitoring samba ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 16 01:26:43 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:56:04PM +0200, Becskei Robert wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  does anyone know if there is a tool in existence that can monitor samba shares like smbstatus
> but is much more advanced (and runs in console) , I mean a tool that has menues, some search
> options, and things sorted out nice. A Samba realtime monitor would be the best thing with lots
> of details and lots of options.
>

>  I tried Swat, but that aint really a solution to watch who is connected to where, neither is smbstatus
> since when to many people are connected you can't see in realtime who is using what. And that I think
> is one major problem.
>
>  I would like to have such a tool because I'm throwing the Novell File Server out and using a Whitebox 3.0EL
> instead. I wonder,...is there such a tool like Novell Monitor ... for linux ? I mean if there aint one for samba
> maybe another tool that is more advanced would be able to view who is connected to what ? what is their IP
> adress, what time did they logged on, what is the current system status, etc...

No tool I know of currently. If anyone wants to write one (maybe a gui tool
written in python ?) I'd be happy to integrate it into the source code.

There are lots of admin options that could be added to Samba via TDB messaging
to perform admin operations - we just need programmer enthusiasm to write such
a tool. Anyone game ?

Jeremy.