[Samba] Samba + MS Access

brucehohl at access-4-free.com brucehohl at access-4-free.com
Tue Jun 15 23:51:02 GMT 2004

From: Dan Weisenstein <dan at tesoro.com>
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] Samba + MS Access
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:42:50 -0700

----- Original Message Follows -----
> I have a single Linux server running SuSE 9.1 and Samba
> 3.04. I have one  share that has several MS Access tables
> on it. One user can operate just  fine, however when a
> second+ user tries to access the same database  tables,
> one of several things happens depending on what I have in
> the  smb.conf file. It's usually a permission denied, or a
> "can't lock" type  of error.
>
> When the first user opens a table, a file called xxx.ldb
> gets created,  where xxx is the name of the table. The
> lock file is owned by the user  and has permissions of
> 644. When a second user tries to open the same  table, the
> error occurs. In my smb.conf file, I have tried almost
> every  option I can find that would apply to file locking,
> including turning on  and off kernel oplocks, level2
> oplocks, oplocks, and setting veto oplock  files to
> /.ldb/.mdb/ and all possible permutations of all of them.
> Nothing really changes with any of them. If I force the
> lock file to  666, Access hangs.

I saw this in a Samba book by Gary Wilson.  Maybe it will
help (p83):
"To configure a share for [Access] database that is readable
by all users but can be modified by a few users ... "
[share]
path = /path/to/share
read only = yes
write list = user1, user2, @sales
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777
force create mode = 0666
force directory mode = 0777
oplocks = no
veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/*.ldb/*.LDB/
dos filetimes = yes

It was for Samba 2.2 but maybe it will help.