[Samba] Samba + MS Access

Dan Weisenstein dan at tesoro.com
Tue Jun 15 18:42:50 GMT 2004

I have a single Linux server running SuSE 9.1 and Samba 3.04. I have one
share that has several MS Access tables on it. One user can operate just
fine, however when a second+ user tries to access the same database
tables, one of several things happens depending on what I have in the
smb.conf file. It's usually a permission denied, or a "can't lock" type
of error.

When the first user opens a table, a file called xxx.ldb gets created,
where xxx is the name of the table. The lock file is owned by the user
and has permissions of 644. When a second user tries to open the same
table, the error occurs. In my smb.conf file, I have tried almost every
option I can find that would apply to file locking, including turning on
and off kernel oplocks, level2 oplocks, oplocks, and setting veto oplock
files to /.ldb/.mdb/ and all possible permutations of all of them.
Nothing really changes with any of them. If I force the lock file to
666, Access hangs.

When this was a WinXP server, all of this worked just fine. There is
something about the .ldb file that must be accessable by n+1 users.
Anybody have an Access DB setup on a Samba share? How did you do it?

Below is my smb.conf file (in it's present state):
[global]
   workgroup = TESORO
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups