[Samba] PDC and dividing roaming profile

RRuegner robert at ruegner.org
Tue Jun 15 15:18:10 GMT 2004

abebe lsslp schrieb:

> I have this problem...
> I am working on implimenting a school network. I have two kinds of users on my network: students and facutly. I have also two types of operating system on my network: win 98 and win XPP.
>
> Here is the rights and privilages I am thinking about giving my users
>
> Students (usage only in computer labs):
> - limited roaming profile (basically, deny desktop roaming profile)
> - give them access to some network devices: printers and file servers.
>
> Faculty (usage in offices):
> - give them access to network devices: mainly file servers
> - keep profile on local computers (I am afraid roaming profile will take long authentication time as a result of loading profiles)
>
> How can I address this issue, especially for Faculty. I don't want the samba PDC to interfere with whatever they have on their local computer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ambex

> Friends.  Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger

Hi, make use of smb groupmapping this will solve your problem,
win98 needs the profile in users homes ( no real problem )
but you know win98 ist not a domain working os at all,
roaming profiles will work ok if you have a good network ( 100/ethernet )
the biggest problem you will see if you log in in a profile which was
created by win98 on a winxp prof machine and vice versa.
It will technical work but it will look terrrible and will confuse Users.
I recommend to switch all win clients to win 2000 serv pack 4
Regards