[Samba] pdbedit - RID for machine accounts

Gunnar Norling gunnar at lokomo.com
Tue Jun 15 07:17:50 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've tried to search for the problem on the lists without finding a
solution.

I'm trying to recreate a crashed PDC system on a new system with samba
3.0.4. It is a small domain and I use tdbsam as a backend. No LDAP (yet ;).
I could actually retrieve the old SIDs from a backup file, and also the
smb.conf file. All other files was though lost :(

I managed to give the new domain (PDC) the same SID as the previous using

$ net setlocalsid <oldsid>

Now I want to add previous machines into the domain. Because I know the
machine SIDs I thought I could do something like this:

$ adduser <mach>$ -g machines
$ pdbedit -a -u <mach> -m -U S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-<rid>

Using the SID from my backup. The entry is added but the SID is not the one
I entered! It seams as if pdbedit uses it own mechanism, even though I enter
a SID manually. Am I missing something?

I actually manage to recreate users with this approach, i.e. using the SIDs
from may stored file. And also, rejoining using the "Network Identification"
applet in the client machine.

Sincerly
/norling