[Samba] Member Server in Active Directory

M Maki mmaki at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 14 22:50:53 GMT 2004

I'm trying to join a  Samba 3.0.4 (compiled from source on Debian) to an
Active Directory as a member server. I believe Kerberos is configured
correctly as kinit creates a ticket for the realm. Executables appear to have
support for Kerberos and LDAP (smbd -b | grep KRB and grep LDAP) return OK.

When I try to join the AD with
   net ads join -U myadminusername
I'm prompted for my password but then get:
   libads/ldap.c:ads_add_machine_acct(1006)
   Host account for inpsamo-debian already exists - modifying old account
   libads/ldap.c:ads_join_realm(1336)
   ads_add_machine_acct: No such object
   ads_join_realm: No such object

I only have admin rights for an ou of the Active Directory. Here is a Windows
LDP search of my ou:

ldap_search_s(ld, "DC=pwr,DC=int,DC=edited,DC=com", 2, "(ou=SAMO)", attrList,
0, &msg)
Result <0>: (null)
Matched DNs:
Getting 1 entries:
>> Dn: OU=SAMO,OU=Mediterranean Coast
Network,OU=PWR,DC=pwr,DC=int,DC=edited,DC=com
	2> objectClass: top; organizationalUnit;
	1> ou: SAMO;
	1> distinguishedName: OU=SAMO,OU=Mediterranean Coast
Network,OU=PWR,DC=pwr,DC=int,DC=edited,DC=com;
	1> name: SAMO;
	1> canonicalName: pwr.int.edited.com/PWR/Mediterranean Coast Network/SAMO;

I guess my question is could it be how my realm is configured
(PWR.INT.EDITED.COM) or what else could keep me from joining the directory?

Current smb.conf:
[global]
   unix charset = LOCALE
   workgroup = PWR