[Samba] Re: v3.0.4-5 (Debian Sid) not Samba 3.0.5 - Can't change password

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Jun 14 17:45:34 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 09:53, Laurent CARON wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> >On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 03:21, Laurent CARON wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>I upgraded samba to 3.0.5 (debian sid) in the hope of getting windows
> >>password change to work, but had no success.
> >
> >[greg at king:greg]$ apt-show-versions -a samba-common
> >samba-common    3.0.4-5 install ok installed
> >samba-common    3.0.2a-1        testing
> >samba-common    3.0.4-5 unstable
> >samba-common/unstable uptodate 3.0.4-5
> >
> >I am sorry, but you have 3.0.4-5 installed.
> >
> >>The password is changed (fortunately), but the computer still displays a
> >>message saying the old password is incorrect.
> >>
> >>Do you know how to fix it?
> >
> >Do you have a proper password chat setup? Are you using PAM to change
> >the passwords?
> >
> >You really need to give us more info.
> >
> I'm using 3.0.4-5 (sorry for the mistake), password chat is correct, but
> since microsoft patch, the problem didn't disappear.

I had a very similar problem. My only fix I could actually find was to
completely remove all of the "generated" samba files (the .tbd files and
such) with samba and winbind not running. Then removing all the machine
accounts out of /etc/passwd, basically cleaning up to look just like
"just installed and never run yet"

Then starting joining the machines again, then using a script to
generate the samba users from /etc/passwd... setting policies proper and
since then (two weeks ago) haven't had any problems.

greg at gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup