[Samba] WinXP Client problem (damned tmp files in profile)

Thomas Werner werner at esmt.org
Mon Jun 14 16:08:08 GMT 2004

sometimes i have the same problems. 100 times the login/logoff works and one
times the profile sync fails. during the sync process samba or xp creates
tmp files. if it fails, the tmp files prevent the next login and i get the
message, that windows cannot load the profile - foo.tmp access denied or
whatever. for a login i have to kill these files and i know, that the
correspondent file is damaged (maybe). best example ist the Outlook.pst, all
emails are lost. alternatively  is not possible for me to put the pst file
to the home share, because during a long session xp lost the connection and
office hangs for 10 seconds, otherwise the connection is always very fast.
frustrating ...

greetings tom

samba 3.0.4 (berlin) with ldap master (munich) / ldap slave (berlin)

        ; basic server settings
        netbios name = PDC2

        announce version = 5.0
        announce as = Windows 2000 Enterprise Server
        ; oplocks = no

        ; user and machine account backends
        passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://192.168.52.31 ldap://192.168.80.21"
guest
        ; name resolve order = host lmhosts wins bcast

        ; should act as the domain and local master browser
        os level = 64
        preferred master = yes

        ; ldap related stuff
        ldap suffix = o=berlin,dc=esmt,dc=org
        ldap admin dn = cn=manager,ou=samba,o=berlin,dc=esmt,dc=org
        ldap filter = "(&(uid=%u)(objectClass=sambaSamAccount))"
        ldap ssl = start tls
        #ldap ssl = yes
        #ldap ssl = no
        ldap delete dn = no
        ldap user suffix = ou=users
        ldap machine suffix = ou=samba
        ; ldap trust ids = yes

On 14.06.2004 13:42 Uhr, "Jason C. Waters" <jwaters at h2os.com> wrote:

> Have you set the profile for that user?  Does the directory exist?  what
> does pdbedit -v username give you?
>
> JM wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someome help me on this.. I got this on one of my windows XP...
>>
>> Windows cannot load your profile because it maybe corrupted.
>>
>> Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporart
>> profile.
>>
>> How can I fix this..
>>
>> Addtional info
>> Im using samba-3.0.0-2... on Redhat 9
>>
>> TIA,
>> jm

Dipl. Betriebswirt(BA) f. Inf. Thomas Werner
Webmaster / Network Administrator
ESMT European School of Management and Technology GmbH
Schlossplatz 1
D-10178 Berlin
Germany

Tel: +49 (0)30 21231 - 1085