[Samba] Samba 3 Unix Password Sync

Beast beast at beantransactions.com
Mon Jun 14 11:46:57 GMT 2004

Waif Urchin wrote:
> Working with my first Samba PDC using samba 3.0.3 on FreeBSD 5.2.1.
> Single subnet, handful of win2k and winxp boxes fully patched.
> Everything is working fine except the password sync.  What do I have to
> add to samba (or windows) to set it up so when someone changes their
> password on Windows it updates the passwd and smbpasswd files
> automatically?
>
> Thanks.

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux system password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes
;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

--

--beast