[Samba] Samba on Mac doesn't see "include" shares

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 00:01:26 GMT 2004

I'm having an annoying problem.

On my Linux Server (with Samba 3.0.3) I am using the samba option of
'include = /etc/samba/smb.%U.conf'
so that users mostly only see shares that specifically belong to them.

This approach works perfectly on Windows XP workstations. After a user logs
onto the Linux server -- by simply clicking on a share that's accessible to all
users -- the user then can see the shares that are only supposed to be
visible to him or her.

But under Mac OS X 10.3.3, I'm not having any success with this strategy.
Users can see the shares that are accessible to everyone. However, even after
logging into the server and viewing one of those shares, the Mac users can never
see the shares that specifically belong to THEM.

Does the "include" option not work in Macs?

In my samba logs, I can see that the Mac users are logging in. But they can
never see their own shares listed in the dropdown box of available shares. And
even if the Mac users try to log in manually to those shares after connecting
to a generally-available share (e.g., by going to the "Connect" dialog box and
typing "smb://username:password@LinuxBoxIP/samba_share_name"
the private shares can't be accessed.

Is there a way around this problem?

I have no issues on the Mac when I try to access shares that are accessible
to all users in a particular group, for instance. Only when I try to access
individual shares that use this "include" option.

Hope somebody knows the answer. It's very important to me that "private
shares" not be visible by users other than those to whom they belong.

Andy Liebman