[Samba] Re: Need help configuring Samba3/LDAP PDC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jun 11 23:18:45 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 13:16, rwallace at thewallacepack.net wrote:
> Aaron Ogden wrote:
> > On a related note, I've imported lots of NIS data into this LDAP
> > directory, so I have lots of valid Unix accounts.  These are working
> > properly on LDAP-enabled linux machines, but how do I 'convert' them
> > for use with Samba?  Ideally I would like to have one record for each
> > user that contains all of the samba data as well as the unix data.  Is
> > there an easy way to add the appropriate samba fields to 'normal'
> > posixAccounts?  Is there a FAQ that covers the procedure?  Any help
> > would be welcome.
>
> That's a good question and I hope someone has an answer.  I tried to do
> the same a while back and didn't have any luck either.  You can't use
> the smbldap-useradd scripts or smbpasswd -a 'cause those will only tell
> you that the entry already exists.  Oooo... but it looks like you can
> use "smbldap-usermod -a" to add the necessary objectclass and whatnot.
> Play around with that and see what happens.
----
I have not played with smbldap-usermod -a but that might very well work.

What I did play with was webmin - www.webmin.com

Properly configured, webmin's LDAP Users & Groups can add all of the
samba properties desired to any user by editing the user and clicking
the samba button. I found this to be a very valuable tool for less than
versant office manager to add/delete accounts, edit passwords, etc. This
is the best solution that I have found to date (though LAM looks pretty
good).

Craig