[Samba] Login failures on Win XP.

Franklin Trumpy ftrumpy at MILitho.COM
Fri Jun 11 19:53:01 GMT 2004

Hello, everyone,

Particulars:

Solaris 8 on i386
Samba 2.2.5
Windows 2000 PDC
Windows XP clients

I'm having occasional problems with one or two Windows XP machines being
able to browse
my Samba server while members of a Windows 2000 domain.

If the machine "bar" is joined to the domain "mydomain", and the user
"foo" is logged
in via the Windows 2K PDC and attempts to browse the Samba server, the
login window
pops up with the username field containing: "mydomain/foo". Attempts to
authenticate
result in "You may not have privileges to access this network resource"
errors.

I have confirmed that "Send unencrypted password to third party SMB
servers" is Enabled,
and I've applied the signorseal registry hack, though I don't think that
applies here.
I've removed Client for Microsoft Networks and re-added it, as well.
Removing from
and rejoining to the domain doesn't help.

If the user is removed from the domain and is made ONLY a member of a
workgroup, it works
just fine.

This is only a problem on three or four out of maybe 80 machines, all of
which *should*
be identically configured.

Relevant lines from the logfile, with names changed:

[2004/06/11 15:06:45, 2] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(982)
   Defaulting to Lanman password for foo
[2004/06/11 15:06:45, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(998)
   Rejecting user 'foo': authentication failed

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Franklin

--
Franklin Trumpy