[Samba] curios printer behavior from Samba 3.0 upgrade

Mike addymin at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 11 18:41:55 GMT 2004

Greetings:

I just upgraded a RH-9 server, running Samba 2.28 to RHEL-3 which
installed samba-3.0.2-6.3E.

The "old" RH-9 box (print/file server) had 2 printers attached to it (1
parallel and 1 usb).  All the printers and fileshares worked great.

So I upgraded and the fileshares via Samba work perfectly (as expected)
and the RHEL box accepts and print jobs sent to them correctly however...

When I go to one of the client workstations (Windows 2K-sp3) and go the
"printers" listing (start|settings|printers), the two printers hosted by
the RHEL box have a status as "opening", and not "ready".

The RHEL box takes and sends print jobs fine from any client
applications (such as Word or StarOffice), so nobody has complained but
I'm just wondering what could be causing this given that the printers
worked showed a "ready" status when hosted via samba-2.28.

Here is a section of the smb.conf:
[global]
         workgroup = WORKGROUP.NET
         server string = Samba Server
         security = SHARE
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*al
l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
         unix password sync = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 0
         dns proxy = No
         printing = cups

[hp4m]
         comment = HP 4M Laserjet
         path = /var/spool/samba
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         print command = lp -d %p -o raw %s; rm -f %s
         lpq command = lpq -P%p
         lprm command = lprm P%p %j
         printer name = hp4mlocal
         use client driver = Yes