[Samba] Trying to 'Upgrade' to Samba 3.0 on RedHat Enterprise 3.0

joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com
Fri Jun 11 17:43:53 GMT 2004

Here's my situation:
I currently have Samba (v. 2.2.7) running on RedHat 7.3, configured as a
Domain Controller.  Users are logging into the domain and everything is
working fine.
I must 'upgrade' to RedHat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0.  I say 'upgrade', but
what I actually have to do is a complete OS install, NOT an upgrade (there
is no upgrade path to RHEL3.0 from anything other than RHEL2.x).
What this means is that I have to reinstall Samba and configure it.  I
will be using Samba 3.0.0-14.3E (a Redhat rpm).

I would like this to be seamless to the end users, i.e. if at all possible
I don't want to have to go to each PC and disjoin the old Domain and join
the new one (they will be named the same thing).  I will be using the same
physical server, but in effect it will be a new server, new OS, new
version of Samba.
I would like to 'migrate' the old accounts (user and machine) to the new
server.
Is this possible????

I have set up an instance of Samba 3 on a RedHat Enterprise Linux server
in a testing environment, and configured it as a Domain Controller.
I have successfully added a machine to the Domain and have been able to
log in.

My problem arises when I try to 'migrate' a machine (PC) to the testing
domain.

These are the steps I followed:
1. copied the machine account entries from the 'old' /etc/passwd file and
added them to the test server.
2. copied the /etc/shadow entries to the test server
3. copied the /etc/group entries
4. copied the /etc/gshadow entries
5. copied the /etc/samba/smbpasswd entries to the /etc/samba/smbpasswd
file on the test server. (I'm using smbpasswd for the password backend for
now).

I have configured the test server with the same domain name as the
original (it's on it's own private network).
I am able to join the domain and login (new account).
But if I take a PC from the original Domain and connect it to the test
network and reboot the machine, I get an error stating that it can't find
the domain even though the machine has a linux account and a samba account
(both copied from the old Domain).

I know I'm missing something, but I can't figure out what it is.
Perhaps it's a setting on the PC?
Again, if I disjoin the old Domain (by joining the 'workgroup') then join
the new domain, that works (so I'm creating machine accounts 'on the fly'
without a problem).

Is this possible? Can I 'migrate' PC's from one Domain to another (with
the same name) ??

Thanks for any and all help!

Joseph Morin

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, is for the sole use of the individual to whom it is addressed. This message is confidential and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy this message and its attachments.