[Samba] Samba 3.0.3 on FC2: windows machine cannot join domain

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Jun 11 15:07:02 GMT 2004

> I'm using Samba 3.0.3 on Fedora Core 2 with OpenLDAP 2.1.29 for a
> backend. I'm getting to typical "The user name could not be found."
> error upon trying to join a Windows box. I've gone through every
> digest on lists.samba.org and other sites and nothing has worked yet.
> Any suggestions:

You must have missed the ou=Computers discussion then, it comes up about
every 2 weeks.

>   ; User and Machine Account Backends
>   ldap ssl = start_tls
>   passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://smbtest.soil.ncsu.edu:389
>   ldap suffix = dc=soil,dc=ncsu,dc=edu
>   ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=soil,dc=ncsu,dc=edu
>   ldap delete dn = no
>   ldap user suffix = ou=People
>   ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
>   ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers

change this to ou=People or do one of the workarounds people have
suggested, those being to reconfigure your nss library to search to a
point in your ldap structure that contains both ou=People and
ou=Computers (dc=soil,dc=ncsu,dc=edu).  I guess that's the only
suggested one, but I've thought about a couple others, one being to make
an ou=Accounts which would contain aliases to ou=People and
ou=Computers, but I haven't tested it yet...

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254