[Samba] WINS Sync not working

sebastien Pastor spastor at center.com
Fri Jun 11 14:21:19 GMT 2004

Hi guys

It is probably a common problem but i just cannot find the solution
anywhere...  Here it is :

I set up 2 server samba with WINS support to YES, they are on two
different networks. The idea is obviously to be able to browse the 2
workgroups . Pb i have is : i can see the 2 workgroups but cannot see
any of the computers inside it !!! I don t have any errors though  ...
when i click on the other network workgroup, i list 0 object ...
On each wins servers i can see the list of local workstations in the
wins.dat so i presume that PC on both networks are regestering
themselves correctly.

Here is my config :

On ServerWins1
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins dns bcast host
        wins support = yes
        remote browse sync=192.168.1.25
        allow hosts = 192.168.1.25 127. 192.168.2.
        remote announce = 192.168.2.25/CENTER.DEV

On ServerWins2
       remote announce = 192.168.2.25
       local master = yes
       os level = 65
       domain master = yes
       wins support = yes
       name resolve order = lmhosts wins dns bcast host
       preferred master = yes
       hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127. 192.168.2.25

In my nmbd logs i can see "sync started " and the number of objects but
each time i have 4 objects, they seem to correspond to the number of
workgroup (there is 2 other Workgroups because two machines have a
different workgroup name it seems ... could it be a problem ?)
In browse.dat or wins.dat there is no trace of the remote workstations
except in the browse.dat where there is the lmb for each workgroup but
no other workstations.

I hope i am clear .. 'will really appreciate if someone could help with
this.

Regards

Sebastien