[Samba] Winbind - NIS?

ww m-pubsyssamba pubsyssamba at bbc.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 10:22:20 GMT 2004

You are correct, you will use winbind instead of NIS. Craig White has not understood you intentions.
All you want to store in LDAP in idmap, Criag is talking about using it to store user and group data
which would be an alternative to using winbind,

thanks Andy.

Am I missing something here? I thought winbind was supposed to act similar to yp/NIS? That winbind is given a range of UIDs and GIDs that would be higher than anything on the local system and winbind would translate out a passwd entry for each Windows domain user (again, identical to NIS). That I would only have to add a user to the windows DC, and that when that user tries to log into one of our Linux boxes, they would be able to use the same login and password. Finally, if I happen to have several Linux boxes, and I wanted to ensure identical UID/GIDs, that LDAP is the only answer to make that happen.

In other words, if jskains is assigned 10000 as a UID on System A and if jskains logs into System B (another Linux box), LDAP would be used to ensure that jskains remains at UID 10000. In that case if System A and System B happen to share an NFS mount, file ownerships would remain intact.

So I am basically trying to ensure a single login between Windows servers and our Linux boxes, and I am phasing out NIS and replacing it with Winbind.

How is this an ignorant or stupid plan? Our friend Mr. Craig White seems to think this plan is wrong and that I am clueless. Am I interpreting winbind's intensions wrong?

JMS