[Samba] Newbie group mapping question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jun 11 01:24:56 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 17:25, Ninti Systems wrote:
> I'm wondering if, in a context where samba 3.0.4 is PDC for an NT domain
> with XP clients, it is necessary or at least normal practice to map
> most/all NT groups (eg Domain Admins, Domain Users) to unix groups?
>
> Also, I notice when I do 'net groupmap list' that there are not only
> Domain Admins, Domain Users and Domain Guests, but also plain Admins,
> Users and Guests. What is the significance of these two sets of groups
> (the Domain groups and the 'plain' groups), should I map to one or the
> other or both?
>
> Sorry, my knowledge of Windows is even less than my knowledge of Samba
> at this point in time.
----
There is coverage of groups in the very excellent samba 3 how-to - see
the documentation page at the samba web site <http://www.samba.org>

Rather than cover it inadequately, you would be better served by reading
the information there. It seems that you already have mapped groups.
'Plain' groups are local accounts - not of much importance to a Samba
machine.

Craig