[Samba] Fixed it myself... (ldap/winbind)

Josh Skains JSkains at deltad.com
Thu Jun 10 20:11:44 GMT 2004

After much searching, research, compiling, and some guess work, I found my problem was wrapped around one simple fact. I didn't have the samba.schema included.

I now have some suggestions:

1. If you are going to force people to use something complex, DOCUMENT it. Assume there are people like me who have no understanding of ldap. Even some automatic script should be written for people who need LDAP for distribution but plan to use LDAP for absolutely NOTHING else.

2. Then make a simple shared daemon called "unixmapd" or something that works like WINS. Everyone can attach to one simple server and see the maps... Whoever gets a resolve first, adds the new entry. So if "ENG\joe" logs into server "bozo" and "bozo" sees there isn't a map in the "unixmapd", then it contributes it. It's that simple!

Just my thoughts,
JMS