[Samba] Domain problem with NT4 & Samba 3.0.2a

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu Jun 10 16:47:48 GMT 2004

The first thing that jumps out at me is the line beginning with
Domain=[WORKGROUP] in the results of 'smbclient -L moon". It appears to
me that in looking for the browse list, your user may be attempting to
authenticate against the local smbpasswd database instead of
authenticating against the PDC or BDC. A bug, a feature, or a
misunderstanding? I don't know.

Have you joined this server to the domain?

You'll want to read this section of the Samba 3 HOWTO if you haven't
already:
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/domain-member.html#domain-member-server

This section says to use Security = DOMAIN instead of Security =
SERVER, and explains why. Looking at your smb.conf, it looks like
you're on the right track.

I'd recommend investigating winbind to create users on the fly when
auth'd against the domain controller. As samba still requires a local
user database, winbind and appropriate scripts will automatically
maintain this local user database for you.

And, of course, there's always the recommendation to go with Samba
3.0.4 (or 3.0.5 if it's out soon).

--Jon Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
jon at sutinen.com