[Samba] Error Joining Domain

Michael Padilla mqpadilla at shopwise.com.ph
Wed Jun 9 19:35:43 GMT 2004

hello

	im trying to setup a test PDC using SAMBA 3 and used one example from samba
docs and encountered this problem, by the way my test client runs on win2k
prof:

	Windows Error!!
       "A duplicate name exists on the network"

	i can not log-in and i cannot browse my PDC and shared folders. then i run
smbclient -L localhost %U on the PDC and it showed three server names, 3
workgroups and three master, all including the PDC. the other win2k clients
are configured in workgroup for the meantime before i join them to the
domain but this error appears. its the 1st time im trying to join the pc on
the domain..... heres my sample smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = CUBAO
passwd chat = *New*Password* \
%n\n*Re-enter*new*password* %n\n *Password*changed*
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
syslog = 0
name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
printcap name = CUPS
show add printer wizard = No
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd \
-s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u
logon script = scripts\login.bat
logon path =
logon drive = X: